The people of Danish social media marketing agency Mindjumpers, who are at the basis of the Social Marketing Forum, we launched, look at the ways people engage with advertising on the king of social networks, Facebook. Several studies were recently unveiled and here is a nice overview of one of them, heatmaps included!
A recent study shows that advertising on the Facebook platform works. People read the page updates and are likely to notice the targeted ads as well. This means that if you run a business, you can benefit from having a Facebook page where you can send out updates to your customers and create dialogue.
The study was conducted by the National College of Ireland on behalf of Mulley Communications. 40 people from Ireland participated in the test that used eye-tracking to document their online behaviour when using Facebook.
Some key results regarding user engagement with Facebook ads
· The top three uses of Facebook were: 1. to interact with friends, 2. chat with friends, and 3. look at news feeds.
· Users like an average number of 28 pages. Younger users tend to like more pages.
· People have usually liked a page that was recommended to them by their friends.
· Users pay more attention to page updates in the news feed rather than adverts on the right-hand side.
· 71% of the users looked at ads on their profile page but only 31% of users looked at ads on their news feed.
Check out the YouTube video below including a heatmap that clearly shows where people look at on Facebook:
The study report contains further data on the concrete results about what activities people do on Facebook, doing status updates, using pages, groups, events and games, sharing video and also contains some suggestions for improvement of the platform.
Jonas Klit Nielsen
Jonas Klit Nielsen is co-founder and Managing Partner of Mindjumpers, a Copenhagen based social media agency.
Jonas works with various companies developing strategies for implementing and creating value through the use of social media. As a blogger it’s his aim to share the strategic insights and thoughts, generated through his agency’s work. You can connect with Jonas on Twitter here.